October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month
The Purple Ribbon is worn during the month of October to bring awareness to the blight of domestic violence on this society. Put a purple ribbon up as your Facebook/Twitter profile picture to show your support or decorate your house with purple lights. This month is meant to encourage support and participation in awareness campaigns and educational efforts. Just the statistics are devastating enough for one to see we are in need for people to be involved:
- One in four women (25%) has experienced some sort of household violence in her lifetime
- 85% of the victims are women.
- Three out of four women (75%) know someone who has been a victim of abuse.
- One in five high school teens will be involved in an abusive relationship before graduation.
Become a friend on CADA’s face book and be empowered. Have your awareness raised, along with what can be done to prevent household violence and help keep women safe in the workplace. During the month of October, CADA will host three major events to promote awareness and education:
- October 9th, 2012 – Taste N Tell: our Annual Fund Raising effort for CADA.
- October 11th, 2012 — Our Candlelight Vigil to honor the ones who have lost their lives because of domestic violence.
- October 18th, 2012 — Law Enforcement Appreciation Luncheon for the people who risk their lives going into unknown situations to help victims of domestic violence.
CADA is an organization working toward improving the lives of women and children in our community. We now offer hospital complement to victims of sexual assault. This will give the victims an advocate to help educate her/him as to what is available to her/him during this very emotional time. No one wants to go through abuse alone: with your help they won’t have to. Our goal is to break the cycle of violence. So, please come and support CADA as we help support victims of abuse.
ANDREA WOODWARD, Community Educator/Sexual Assault Advocate