Jeff Davis Cada Executive Director’s yearly report 2011-2012
Last year ,in 2011, we assisted 637 survivors of domestic violence.. This is an increase of almost 43% over last year (377) and 2009 (375) and provided shelter for 103 persons for a total shelter nights stay of 1468 (number of residents x days stayed per month). We performed 65 Temporary Restraining Orders from January through November 2011. Twenty-four families and all in-house residents have been adopted for our Adopt a Family for Christmas Program. This is an increase of over 50% compared to 13 families in 2010.
In July 2012,Kathy Brown was replaced as Community Educator/Sexual Assault Advocate by Andrea Woodward who has beedn with Cada since July 2011. Roxi Guidry , who has been our legal advocate, also replaced Sheila Babineaux as our new interim Executive Director.
We are currently working on obtaining grants to install a handicap ramp and other accommodations to help us facilitate our clients’ needs as they come in for services.
- In October 2011,over $35,000 was raised by Taste n Tell. Over 300 persons attended.
- The Jeff Davis Domestic Violence Task Force continues to meet and is now in its third year.
- Sharon McMillin, joined our board…Polly Henry resigned as the Thomas family board representative and Marilyn Watkins was appointed to replace her.
- CADA was awarded $355,523 (an increase of $116,706 over last year) in grants for 2011-12. Of that amount $164,768 are new grants…this includes the Rural Sexual Assault Grant awarded in Sept for 142,257 to be used from 10/1/11 through 9/30/14. Not included in that amount is the $125,000 Capital Outlay grant from the Louisiana Bar Foundation toward the purchase of a new facility. This grant is paid out over the course of 5 years at $25,000 per year. Thus far we have drawn a total of $25,000 against it.
- CADA was selected as a United Way Community Partner again for funding year 2013. Designated gifts from U.W. are $4,600 for the 2012 campaign.
- Schematic renderings for our new building have been developed by architect, Jeff Kudla and the first investors meeting was held in November.
- Outreach efforts continue to develop and enhance our program as evidenced by the increase of 43% in persons served in 2011.
- On October 19,2011 we held our second annual Law Enforcement Appreciation Day to recognize and appreciate law enforcement personnel in Jeff Davis Parish. There were approximately 167 law officers, court personnel, and representatives from the D.A.’s office. This is up from 120 persons in 2010.
- A new fund raiser was added in 2011: the first annual Spring Arts and Crafts Show was held April 16th. It was well attended and we raised approximately $3500.
- Several pieces of furniture were donated, including a lovely dining set from the Jennings United Methodist Church. A dinette set with 6 chairs and an oversized easy chair for the living room, 2 dressers one with a mirror and an almost new Broyhill sofa were also donated.
- The Adopt a Family for Christmas Program provided gifts for 24 families and 29 children received new bikes! This is a 50% increase over last year.